There are multiple ways to bring video capture data into Notch, depending on your scenario.
- Notch Builder / Playback: Using DirectShow / MediaFoundation compatible capture cards.
- Embedded in Media Server: The MediaServer provides routing from their capture methods into the Notch Block
Capturing via DirectShow / MediaFoundation compatible cards / cameras
To configure your Notch Builder project to use a local capture device (for use in Builder or Standalone):
- Go to menu Devices -> VideoIn/Camera/Kinect Settings…
- Under the Video In pane, check the Video In Enabled box.
- If using a device that supports Media Foundation, ensure this box is also checked.
- You can now manually select the DirectShow / Media Foundation devices and available modes below in tow ways:
- by manually selecting the device and specific mode
- or, you can enter target resolutions and FPS rates and Notch will attempt to select the capture mode that is closest to that target configuration.#
- Click OK
- Add a Video In Source node to the nodegraph. This node delivers a texture that can be piped into an Image 2D or other node that accepts textures.
Capturing from Media Server sources
To configure your Notch project to receive video from a media servers capture source:
- Add a Video Loader node to the nodegraph. This node delivers a texture that can be piped into an Image 2D or other node that accepts textures.
- Expose the Video parameter of the node by:
- Click the ? icon next to the Video parameter and in the Parameter window:
- Check the Expose Parameter box
- You can change the labels/groups that are presented to the media server
- Click OK
When your project is exported to a media server, it will now present a hook for the inbound video. For working and previewing in Notch Builder, you can use an imported video in the Video Loader node and the video will be over-ridden at runtime in the media server.
Single / Multiple streams
When running in Builder / Standalone Notch supports a single video capture device/stream. If you need to input multiple sources, you will need to either:
- Utilise Notch embedded in a media server
- Or, Use an upstream decimator or compositor.
Notes for specific capture cards
Cards reported as working:
Notch doesn’t show my capture device in the Video In panel.
Check that you can see the device is showing in other DirectShow/Media Foundation application such as Skype. If the device does not appear in these apps speak to the capture device manufacturer about DirectShow / MediaFoundation compatibility.
The image capture is just static in Builder.
The play head needs to be playing for capture to refresh.